Protect Your Information
Monitor Your Accounts
- Login to your KCU online account(s) at least once a week to review your account information. If you notice any activity that was not made by you, contact us immediately at 888.528.2595.
- Set up alerts on your account that will keep you posted on your account activity.
- Check your credit report regularly to ensure that all accounts listed are ones you've created, so you can minimize damage to your credit score. View a copy of your credit report at Annual Credit Report.
- Consider using electronic alternatives when making purchases or paying bills. By eliminating the use of a check, you reduce the possibility of fraud.
Passwords & Personal Identification Numbers (PIN)
- Create strong PIN’s that are a minimum of 8 characters, alphanumeric and have no consecutive characters that are the same.
- Do not create passwords that are similar to your real name, nickname, birth date or online screen name.
- Protect your PIN and password, and do not disclose them to anyone (including KCU employees).
- Memorize your PIN. Do not write it on your ATM/debit card.
- Use a different password for each of your accounts, and change them regularly.
- Do not store your passwords near your computer or on your desk where others might easily find them.
Safe Social Networking
With more and more people joining the social network world, there is an increased danger of social engineering, a form of identity theft where thieves use the information you share on social network sites to prey on you.
- Use legitimate sites that have safety precautions.
- Post only information that you are comfortable with others seeing; regard this information as public and permanent.
- Do not use the same username and password to log in to social networking accounts that you use on other online accounts.
- Be careful when clicking links and using applications connected with the site. Even if a friend sends you a message with a link, make sure it is authentic first. Most social network applications are not governed and collect personal information.
- Use privacy settings to limit access to your information.
- Do not “friend,” “follow” or “connect” with anyone or organization you do not know.
- KCU will never ask you for personal account information or account access through social media.
- Signing up for eStatements will ensure that no one else receives your account statements but you, and eliminates your paper trail that is susceptible to fraud.
- Save time and clutter by accessing your statements from anywhere 24/7.
- If you have old checks or statements lying around, shred them before throwing away.
- Do not carry your checkbook around with you unnecessarily.
- Pay your bills online to reduce the risk of having checks in the mail.
- Report lost or stolen checks/checkbooks immediately by calling 888.528.2595.
Online Security Tips
- Do not email personal or financial information unless it is encrypted on a secure website.
- Log off from KCU online account access after you are finished and then close your browser.
- Clear your browser cache regularly so that your browser does not store any data.
- Be careful when accessing your financial information online from a public/shared computer. If using a shared computer, it is a good idea to clear your browser's cache and history after each session.
- Disable the AutoComplete option for online financial companies or secured sites. The convenience of saving user details and passwords when logging into websites makes it very easy for those accessing an unprotected device to do the same.
- Never fill in an email with input fields that ask you for sensitive data such as username, password, social security number and account number information.
- Look for the padlock symbol and https:// in the URL to confirm that the site is secure before you enter sensitive information.
- Beware of pop-up windows that ask for your account number and password. KCU login pages are always on a web page and never in a pop-up window.
- If you suspect a website is fraudulent, leave the site immediately.
- Add or bookmark the URL – www.kohlercu.com to your favorites.